Sunday, October 3, 2010

Scottish Games

This weekend was the STL Scottish Festival.  I have been waiting all summer for this weekend to roll around so I could go watch the dancing again and just be there to enjoy the festival.  This time I was blessed enough to have a few friends come out to enjoy it with me.  I was able to watch most of the dancing, some of the athletics and a little bit of sheep herding as well.  Usually when I go I stay at the dance tent the whole time but with friends there I was able to enjoy the rest of the festival.
We all had a late lunch while there and I had a a bridie:
 A bridie is similar in shape to a Cornish pasty, but the pastry is not as hard and no potato is used, making it much lighter in texture. It is made of minced beef, sometimes with onions and spices, placed on rolled-out pastry, folded into a semi-circular shape, and finally baked in an oven. (Wikipedia)


Michelle got a meat pie, which it has been AGES since I have had one of those.  Hers was just filled with minced meat.   After eating my bridie I forgot what Scottish food does to you. It sticks around all day. It is definitely not light fare because everything is greasy or fried! It was a beautiful afternoon to be in Forrest Park and enjoy the bagpipes.  I just don't know that I am ready for this cool fall weather!

No comments:

Followers